The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection website provides extensive information on visas and can assist you in choosing which type of visa to apply for. The following information is a brief summary on visa types that are relevant to candidates in mechanical trades.

The Temporary Work Skilled 457 Visa

The Visa

This visa allows skilled workers to live and work in Australia for their approved sponsor for up to four years. The employer will apply to sponsor and nominate a position. To qualify for this visa you must:

  • Be nominated to work in an approved occupation on the Skilled Occupation List
  • meet the skill requirements for the nominated occupation
  • meet registration and licensing obligations
  • speak vocational English
  • have been nominated by an approved business
  • have adequate health cover, medical checks and a police certificate

How to Apply

Once the position is nominated, you can create an ImmiAccount and start an application:

You can include your spouse/partner, your dependants or your partner’s dependants and other dependant relatives into your visa application. Family members must meet certain requirements which can be found:

Once you have applied, you can track and manage your application using your ImmiAccount.


The visa application costs vary from time to time. They are based on the date that your application is received. You can estimate the cost here:

Working Holiday Visa – 417

This is a temporary visa for young people to work and live in Australia for up to a year.

The Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) is a temporary visa for young people who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year. It is a temporary visa that encourages cultural exchange and closer ties between Australia and eligible countries.

To apply for the 417 Working Holiday Visa you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must be 18 – 30 years of age
  • You do not have a dependent child accompanying you
  • Have an eligible passport

For more information, cost estimations and to submit an application click here: