Once you or your partner is permitted to work in Canada and are relocated there, your children may study in Canada without a study permit at the pre-school, primary and secondary school levels.

Canada has a top performing and high quality education system. There is no federal department of education or national system of education. Instead, each province and territory has its own system of education which are generally similar across Canada with some variations.

To register your child through a local school/school board office you must bring the following documentation:

  • Permanent Resident Card, Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292)
  • Your child’s birth certificate
  • Your child’s vaccination certificate

We encourage parents to get involved with their child’s school and education. Getting involved in the schools community provides an excellent opportunity to support your child’s education and meet new people in your area.

Back to Canada Advice